It’s been a while since I’ve captured five things, so I today I’m coming at you with ten.
1. Visiting family. Introducing my beau to the whole gang down in LA. Exploring Long Beach and getting all kinds of silly with my cousins. Smiling as every person who meets him pulls me aside to tell me how great he is. Loving him even more for being himself before them all.
2. Going on an all-day adventure with three of my favorite people. Exploring Sutro Baths, finding a nook over the ocean to talk and laugh on, realizing we’re overlooking an inlet. Walking the length of Ocean Beach and settling on a dune to watch the sunset.
3. Driving to Marin after work this week to celebrate a dear friend. Toasting and cheering with her parents and loved ones, because she deserves it. Basking in the glow that is their collective natural warmth and love.
4. Waking up one Saturday morning and deciding to go to the top of Mt. Tamalpais. Grabbing picnic supplies; actually making it there. Running through clouds of bugs with my love and gasping at the view along the way. Being reminded of just how much I love The Bay.
5. Counting down for the holidays. I don’t think I’ve ever been so impatient for Thanksgiving. Already planning what I can, and looking forward to what I can’t. Impatient to see some of the loveliest folks in VA.
6. Calling my little sister to celebrate her last year of college. Shaking my head in denial that she’s growing up this fast. Looking forward to her and I being in the same life chapter, because I can’t wait to see what she’s going to do with it.
7. Writing again. All the time, whenever I can sneak it in. Basking in the feeling of it, because it’s been so damn long. Getting a little better, because that’s the whole point. Feeling grateful that I have people to share my work with.
8. Getting crafty for some gifts I’m impatient to give. Pulling out all of my supplies, piecing things together, excitedly telling my roommate when I get a new, even better idea. Wanting to share with y’all right away, but knowing that I have to actually give the gift first. (ha!)
9. Surviving what feels like the craziest week at work. I’m starting to say that more and more, but I think I’m also handling it all better and better. Already bracing myself for next week.
10. Finding out that two of the people I love most in this world are congregating in New York the same time I’ll be there– just three weeks! Realizing we haven’t all been together in at least two years. Smiling every single time I remember this.
I hope you’re all able to take a moment and list some things (mentally, verbally, or on paper) that are making you happy this week. It tends to make things easier, if not great.